Sunday, January 17, 2010

Slow Cooker Sunday - Potato Soup (a quickie)

Okay, I didn't use my slow cooker today. Instead I made potato soup on the stove for the family and went out to a late afternoon movie and then to dinner with some girlfriends. So, sue me. We saw 'Nine'. I liked it. this was all that was left when I got home Spicy Potato Cheese Soup ("It's amazing!" -Chloe) 4 large baking potatoes bunch of green onions 1/2 block of Mexican Velveeta (small block) Tablespoon of chicken bouillion Hot Sauce (I used Cholula) Cayenne Pepper Black Pepper Salt Milk or Land O Lakes Fat Free Half and Half Peel potatoes and cut into small cubes (size of a pair of dice). Slice onions (both white and green part) and put onions and potatoes in a large pot, add just enough water to cover. Add chicken bouillon and some salt and black pepper. Boil until potatoes are good and soft then turn heat down to low/medium. DO NOT DRAIN! Use a potato masher to mash up a little (this will thicken the soup) about 25 good mashes. Cut up and add Velveeta. Stir until it's melted. Seasoning time! Add salt, black pepper, hot sauce and cayenne to taste. I use several different types of 'heat' and I think this gives a dish a certain 'depth'. It has good flavor from many different peppers without being too spicy. (Just a theory of mine). Make it a tad bit spicier than you want, because you're going to dilute it with milk later. Let soup simmer for at least 15 minutes so the spices soak into the potatoes. Add a big healthy dash of milk or half and half until it's the right thickness. Serve with breadsticks or crackers.

2 comments:

Vee said...

I will try this, Jana. My hands-down favorite soup is potato. Yours sounds yummy!

Life's a Beach! said...

That sounds really good!



My Jewelry on Etsy

My Blog

Some of these entries are vintage travel reports and have been restored from a lost blog. I hope you enjoy them.