Sunday, January 24, 2010

Slow Cooker Sunday - Orange Chicken

Last night I watched the movie "Julie and Julia", which (as you probably already know) is about blogging and cooking. I really liked it, I mean who didn't love Julia Childs? But I digress... Today I am making Orange Chicken in the slow cooker. I got the recipe from the blog "A Year of Slow Cooking", and changed it up just a bit. ORANGE CHICKEN 1 1/2 pounds of skinless boneless chicken breast (cut in chunks) 1/2 c Flour Olive Oil 1/2 t salt 1/4 t cayenne pepper 6 oz frozen orange juice concentrate (1/2 a can- thawed) 4 T brown sugar 1 t balsamic vinegar 3 T ketchup packet of red pepper flakes leftover from take out pizza As always, don't forget to use a slow cooker liner. Heat up some olive oil in a large skillet (med/hi). Dredge the chicken in flour, discarding any extra flour. Cook the chicken in the olive oil (in two batches, so you'll have room to stir it around) just until it's seared. It doesn't have to be done, just brown it a little on the outside, then put in the slow cooker. In a small mixing bowl, combine oj concentrate, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, salt, vinegar, pepper flakes and ketchup. Stir until smooth. Pour sauce over chicken in slowcooker and cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2-3. Serve with steamed broccoli and white or brown rice. This was great! Even Mr. Wonderful thought it was delicious and Orange Chicken isn't his fave. I loved it and I'm sure it's a lot healthier than take out. I'd definitely make it again. I cooked it a little too long, so I adjusted the cooking time in my instructions. I thought the spices were good, but could go a little hotter, so you could add more pepper flakes on top on your individual serving. YUM!

4 comments:

Vee said...

I love cooking with oranges. Have you ever cooked carrots in OJ? Yummy! You certainly accomplished more than I did today, Jana.

Moongrl722 said...

I love carrots w/ oj, a little brown sugar (or honey) and some ginger. Mmmm.

Life's a Beach! said...

Can't wait to try this one Jana!

Laura said...

this looks so good, I love orange chicken! I copied this one and your potato soup recipe..keep 'em coming!



My Jewelry on Etsy

My Blog

Some of these entries are vintage travel reports and have been restored from a lost blog. I hope you enjoy them.