Sunday, January 24, 2010

Beloved Places - Oh to be on the Ile Saint-Louis

Oh, the places you'll go! I absolutely love to travel. New places, different cultures, unfamiliar food, I love it all. And although I know that there are people who have traveled a great deal more than I, you may be hard pressed to find one who can say they've enjoyed it more. I wish I had more photos from my earlier travels, prior to digital cameras, when sometimes the trip itself was a financial stretch, let alone spending $20 a roll for film and developing. So, I am now going to recount many of my favorite places...please make sure your seatbelts are securely fastened and your seatbacks are in a full upright position. This is stop #1 Ile Saint-Louis is one of two little islands in the Seine River smack dab in the middle of Paris. It's a quaint neighborhood that looks like a movie set, almost like you've traveled back in time and it boasts a fantastic view of the rear of Notre Dame. The Ile Saint-Louis is full of sidewalk cafes, shops and such but it just seemed to have a different flavor than the rest of Paris. Cleaner? Smaller? Cuter? I guess all of those things. I think if I return to Paris, which I hope I will, I'd stay on Ile Saint-Louis instead of near the Sorbonne, which truthfully wasn't bad at all. I truly loved all of Paris (and all Parisians I met were very kind). I was especially enamoured of the Louvre -being the art geek that I am, I actually teared up looking at Michelangelo's slaves. Norte Dame was like a giant cave, a good place to explore, and it was great fun just walking around the city. I also loved the cemetary and yes, was photographed at Jim Morrison's grave. I was so poor when I was in Paris that I really didn't eat much of the fabulous French cuisine. I did, however, partake in a morning ritual of French pastry. Mon Dieu! The patisserie near my hotel was enormous and I would stop by there first thing in the morning and thoughtfully choose a pastry from the colorful case along with a bottle of Evian water and walk a few blocks to dine in front of Notre Dame. Heaven! Lunch was usually a crepe du frommage from a street vendor. It didn't matter...I was in Paris! I recall one afternoon a gypsy woman was panhandling rather agressively near the Eiffel Tower and after I politely declined to donate, she poked me and held out her hand in a surprisingly demanding gesture. "I can't afford to eat here, either!", I exclaimed (In English, so I'm sure she had no idea what I was saying). "I ate a Snickers bar for lunch! A cup of coffee is $4! Move elsewhere!" She moved on quickly. I hope to return to Paris one day, it's history and beauty are intoxicating and there is so much more to explore than I was able to do in one trip.

3 comments:

Vee said...

Love this post, Jana. How did you get your scans to turn out so well? I also love my earrings. They arrived today. I want to go to this little island. Is next week good for you?

Moongrl722 said...

Oh, yes, let's go. Coffee is probably $10 a cup now! I ripped these pics from the internet. I suck. :*P We can sit at a sidewalk cafe all day and drink wine. I'm soooo happy that you love your earrings. Send me a pic with you wearing them!

Life's a Beach! said...

Ahhhhh. Some day I'd love to go. I got married way too young and never traveled. I'm going to make up for that in my old age!



My Jewelry on Etsy

My Blog

Some of these entries are vintage travel reports and have been restored from a lost blog. I hope you enjoy them.