Saturday, January 9, 2010

Adventures in Aging ~ Exodus from the Land of Denial

So, I took a huge step this morning and went in for my annual eye exam...well, not really annual but I don't know what the word is for 'once every ten years'. Let me start from the beginning... When I was in first grade, I got my first pair of glasses. Wow! I could see! The problem was, everyone could see me, too. Let's just say that glasses in 1971 weren't all that attractive so there I was. A skinny little awkward kid with stringy brown hair and big nerdy tortoise shell glasses. (Cue downward spiral of self esteem) In junior high, I just went on strike and quit wearing them (Cue downward spiral of grades) and then I got contacts at about the same time that I got boobs and things literally began looking up. Ten years ago I popped for LASIK surgery. Lo and behold! I could see without the mess and fuss of contacts! (Wow, my shower is dirty). I was beyond thrilled to go to the beach with no contacts and be able to read. Over the last couple of years I've been noticing that the writing on Tylenol bottles has gotten much smaller and kinda fuzzy (damn Tylenol) and recently a client walked in my office and commented about me squinting at my computer screen, which is relatively the size of an IMAX screen. Hmmm...driving at night is bad, too. Sigh. I called my eye doctor (remember me?) and made an appointment. The lady on the phone mentioned the word 'bifocals'! GASP! "I am not THAT far out of denial", I told her. Turns out I did get away without bifocals, but only because 'we have options'. God, I love options. By Wednesday I will be the proud owner of a new pair of reading/computer glasses and a pair of distance glasses (for night driving, theater, tv). IN YOUR FACE BIFOCALS!!! Neither of which are big clunky tortoise shell. I have this theory though, that age related eye degeneration is some cosmic attempt at kindness. I mean, have you ever looked at the wrinkles around your eyes in full and direct sunlight? Exactly, me neither. So, I'm not sure what other exciting things I'll find when I get my new glasses, but at least I did it and I'll be a safer night driver. One way ticket out of the Land of Denial? $500. Which is kind of sad, because I really enjoyed my stay there.

10 comments:

Ann said...

I have terrible eyes. Have worn glasses for 50 years --bought my 1st pair of contacts in the 70's--no good--my eyes are very dry. Waitedtil they came ut with the soft kind--still no good. have great eye doctor that lets me try the new types ofr a few days to see how they feel. So far, I'm sticking with glasses--BIFOCALS! but no line ones. Also not a candidate for LASIK.....guess the glasses are part of me now.

jeanie said...

Times have surely changed regarding our thoughts about glasses. I remember the phrase 'Men seldom make passes at women who wear glasses". Times have changed.

Life's a Beach! said...

Welcome to the club. Ugh. I actually have cataracts. It'll probably be another 5 years until I qualify for the surgery, so until then, my vision won't be totally correctable. So I limp along with my no line glasses and sunglasses. I tried contacts in my 40's and my eyes were too dry. I finally gave in to the glasses.

Moongrl722 said...

Really the only reason I am anti-bifocal is the 'getting used to them' phase. That scares me. I have an antique pair from the 60s that were my Grandmother's and they are so thick with the lines and cat eye frames. Classic, but YIKES!
I'll post a pic of me and my new glasses when I get them. :)

Vee said...

Jana, I know how you feel about bifocals. My vision is terrible, so I wear monovision contacts - one corrects distance vision and the other allows me to read without reading glasses. I've worn them for about 15 years now. Well, not the same pair, lol! I also just read your crockpot post. I love that Web site, and I love crock pot cooking, too!

MD in Texas said...

So, couldn't you do the Lasik again for the night driving and just have reading glasses? Ok, so I know that costs MONEY! :)

I am only asking, because I had Lasik about 7 years ago and get one FREE re-do if/when I want or need it. I think I may need it, but I know it won't help with the need for reading glasses, which so far I have been able to continue denying! :D

Moongrl722 said...

Donna - lasik = several trips to Isla, but I may look into something that would correct both issues surgically in the future.

Sea Dream Studio said...

I have had the same thought.. I look much better sort of fuzzy...
I think of it as a kindness...
BUT, I sort of need to see for everyday life. I have to find some frames that will hold the "progressive" lenses I need... a frame that does not look like a relic from the f-ing Golden Girls!

MD in Texas said...

ha ha ha - several trips to isla! I totally agree, which is why I would only do it soon if it would HELP and since I get a free one, but then I think I should wait until it gets a little worse in order to get the most bang out of the freebie!

Moongrl722 said...

Always wanting a free bang. That's why we're friends, Donna. :) XOXO



My Jewelry on Etsy

My Blog

Some of these entries are vintage travel reports and have been restored from a lost blog. I hope you enjoy them.