Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Favorite Things - Turquoise Ring

When I was a little girl back in the 70s my parents used to take us for a little ride out to Catoosa, Oklahoma (just outside of Tulsa, where we lived) to visit a jeweler named Wolf Robe Hunt. He was native American and went by the name 'Chief Wolf Robe' and as a child, I had no doubts that he was a Chief. I loved going to his shop because we were allowed to play outside, with all of the cats while my parents shopped for turquoise and silver jewelry. Every once in a while, the curtain would draw back and you would get a peek at Chief Wolf Robe and to me, it was like the man behind the curtain in the Wizard of Oz. My parents still have several pieces of his jewelry and this ring was handed down to me. (I apologize that in the pic both my nails and the ring need polishing) It's still very much in style and I get lots of compliments when I wear it. I saw one of Wold Robe's bracelets on ebay the other day, but it had big silver eagles on the sides of a large piece of turquoise -- not really my style. It was over $200. I don't have any idea how much my Mom and Dad paid for these pieces, but I know that I treasure mine. It reminds me of the 70s and that's groovy. Speaking of groovy, check out my seasonal blog banner! My friend, Dale, made it for me as a surprise today and I just love it. Check out her blog link -- Sea Dream Studios. Her artwork is so beautiful and whimsical. It's like nothing you've ever seen. She also made me some cards to go with the Sea Glass jewelry that I sell. Hmmm...I could open a shop and be Chief Moongrl. I DO make a good Indian!

4 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

Wow Jana! That's a beautiful ring!
And I love your new banner!

Sea Dream Studio said...

Did I leave my ring at your house? Okay, just give it back next time you see me!!!
I am COLD! I assume you and Little C did not perish on your return. Are we in Texas or Alaska???BRRRR!!
My poor palm trees!
xo~dale

Vee said...

The ring is gorgeous, Jana, very 1970s and still cool. And the banner is so festive. I've been to the Sea Dreams site and love Dale's work!

jeanie said...

Love the new banner and the ring. BTW I followed your lead and bought a wee Santa hat yesterday for my Buddha in the front yard.



My Jewelry on Etsy

My Blog

Some of these entries are vintage travel reports and have been restored from a lost blog. I hope you enjoy them.