Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Why I Don't Like Lost

There, I've said it. I just don't like it. Let the stones fly. My wonderful husband wanted to start from the beginning with Season 1 and after 12 episodes, I'm waving the white flag. And here's why: Characters - I am a 'character' person. I have to like or be intrigued by a character to enjoy a movie or a show. If I could walk out halfway through and not care what happens to them, then the entire movie is a bust for me. I'm just that way. I find the characters on Lost to be stereotypical, shallow and cartoonish. Jack the hero, always in the shadow of his alcoholic father and now large and in charge. Kate, the sexy, bad girl with a past who is trying to redeem herself. She's got a rockin' body and a single facial expression, but then again, so do Hooter's girls and I don't find them fascinating either. Sawyer. Oh, Sawyer...every line is some hokey little catch phrase and his schmaltzy nicknames ('Freckles') drive me crazy. The smirk doesn't help any. What might help is if he just stopped talking and took off his shirt. But I digress. Slow, Slow, Slow Really? Did I just watch 40 minutes and nothing happened? Again? WTF Factor A polar bear on the island. And they kill it but don't eat it? Why haven't they gone exploring. I mean, there could be some All Inclusive Resort just down the beach for all they know. It could be Happy Hour! I've been privy to way too many up and coming things to know that my brain will not be capable of suspending logic enough to swallow all of this. The story arc is too great and there is no payoff so far. And I know enough to know that there won't be for five seasons, if ever. Kinda sounds like my first marriage, but that's a whole different blog entry. :) Now, don't automatically think that I watch innane tv like 'The Bachelor' or 'Dancing With the Stars', because I don't. I watch 'Weeds', 'Californication', and 'Big Love' and I think 'Six Feet Under' was one of the greatest shows ever. Network TV lost me long ago. I don't like sitcoms, I don't love Raymond. I know everyone does. I like to be surprised. Throw me a really good twist and some quality characters and I'll give you an hour. If you like Lost, great. I'm not judging you , I'm just saying it's not for me. I really hope for the big fans of Lost that the payoff at the end of the series is the Hale Bopp Comet experience that it should be, I truly do. But unless Hawkeye and BJ go home from Korea, Bobby Ewing appears and it was all a dream and they all wake up in Bob Newhart's bed, I just don't think I'd be satisfied.

4 comments:

Ann said...

I watched the 1st season evry week and started the 2nd, but just couldn't get into it at all. I think I couldn't keep up with what was going on. So I haven't watched it since!

jeanie said...

I stopped watching when they began going back and forth in time. It made my head hurt. My favorite show is Mad Men.

Moongrl722 said...

I've heard Mad Men is awesome and quirky. I think I'd give it a look!

I'd suggest to anyone to watch 'Six Feet Under' from the beginning, too.

Not trying to diss the Lost fans....if you know me at all, you know I'm pretty much pro choice in everything. Enjoy! I was just explaining what I didn't like about it personally.

Life's a Beach! said...

We watched the first season on DVD, and then I gave up halfway through the second season. I was Lost and didn't care. Our favorites are the same as yours. Big Love, Weeds, Californication, Six Feet Under, etc... But I admit to being a reality show junky. Survivor and Amazing Race.



My Jewelry on Etsy

My Blog

Some of these entries are vintage travel reports and have been restored from a lost blog. I hope you enjoy them.