Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mediterranean Feast

I made a meal last week that was reminiscent of the fabulous meals that we’ve eaten at Comono, one of my favorite restaurants on Isla Mujeres. Mediterranean Beef Kbobs (Being that it is winter, I made these indoors on my George Foreman grill. Yay, George! And they were delicious. You could make them on a grill, or as hamburger patties, too.) 1 lb Ground Beef 1/2 medium Onion, diced 2 Garlic Cloves, minced 1 Tbsp Parsley 2 Tbsp fresh Cilantro, finely chopped 1 tsp Paprika 1 tsp Cumin ½ tsp Salt ½ tsp Black Pepper ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and get your hands in there and mix up really well. Like meatloaf, you can’t do this without getting your hands dirty. Refrigerate mixture for one hour. I formed these into small patties, about 3” across and grilled them on the Foreman. You can also form them into sausage shapes around a wooden skewer and grill on your outdoor grill or make large patties for Mediterranean Burgers. I served these with a Tzatziki Sauce (recipe below) Greek Salad, Pita Bread, Olives and Hummus. I didn’t take the time to make hummus from scratch (which is sooo good!) but I did add a generous sprinkle of Zatar and Paprika, as well as a drizzle of Olive Oil to the top of store bought hummus to ‘homemade it up’ a little. Since I am being ‘low carb girl’ right now, I cut a couple of Low Carb Whole Wheat Tortillas into wedges and toasted them in the oven for me in place of the Pita bread. It was still fantastic! I will make this again very soon. Tzatziki Sauce 1 small carton of Greek Yogurt – Plain, Unsweetened ¼ of a Cucumber, peeled 2 Tbsp Lemon Juice 2 cloves Garlic, minced 2 Tbsp chopped fresh Mint Dash of salt and pepper Put it all in a food processer or blender and puree. Add more lemon juice, salt, pepper to taste.

2 comments:

Vee said...

That looks so yummy, Jana! I love Mediterranean food. There are two good restaurants near my office, and I get take-out a lot.

Jana said...

Lucky girl, Vee! My favorite local Mediterranean place closed down last month and I am so sad. I very rarely get take out at lunch because a) I work in the 'hood' and b) It takes forever to get out of our parking garage. I guess bringing my lunch helps me both weight wise and money wise. Sigh..



My Jewelry on Etsy

My Blog

Some of these entries are vintage travel reports and have been restored from a lost blog. I hope you enjoy them.