Saturday, July 31, 2010

Straight Jacket Required

I've always been pretty laid back (except for those couple of days a month when I'm licensed to kill) but lately I've felt exceedingly bitchy, anxious, sad for no reason sometimes - and not in a good way. When I think of something I need to get done, I feel compelled to DO IT RIGHT NOW so that I don't forget and end up with a bunch of half finished projects in the works and then I get overwhelmed. What is wrong with me? Am I going crazy? (she wondered....loudly, and how would I look in a straightjacket? Would I get to meet Mel Gibson if I were committed? Would I get some rest?) This morning I googled 'symptoms of menopause', and you guessed it-there was a picture of me! What's a nice girl like me doing in a place like this?!? Now if you're squeamish or would care to be able to honestly reply with "I seriously had no idea, Officer" at any point in the future, I would suggest you stop reading now and go on your merry little way. You've been warned. Here's what I found that pertained to me on a huge list: Irritability (ummm, yes. Much, mucho, grande. There are people tied up in my backyard and "I am in no mood!" is my mantra) Mood Swings, Sudden Tears (I often shower the tied up people with cupcakes and hugs) Crashing Fatigue (yes!) Anxiety, feeling ill at ease Feelings of dread, apprehension, doom Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion Disturbing memory lapses (could be from drinking tho, JUST KIDDING!!!) Headaches Increase in allergies (my eyes are so swollen today that Chloe asked for a pedicure) Gastrointestinal issues, bloating - this one was actually good news, as I thought I was fat, but am pleased to know that I'm only bloated Problems sleeping (and weird doomlike dreams) Breast tenderness (I swear I thougth I was pregnant earlier this week) There were many symptoms that were on the list that I do not suffer from (knock on wood) and pray not to. I'll admit that I was always one to play the hormone card to my advantage. Male teachers and bosses (the smart ones, anyway) are easily put off with phrases like "I need to go home...it's a female thing". I used to claim "M"- which you guessed it, stood for Menstruation, as an excuse not to swim in Jr. High PE. My real excuse was that the Nazi issue swimwear and oil of a thousand teenagers floating on top of the pool was enough to make me hurl. My insurance paid for Endometrial Ablation a few years ago (and if you're female, look into that! Burn off your uterine lining and no more monthly visits from Aunt Flo. I had one tiny cramp after the out patient procedure and got to lay around and take Vicodin for three days, so it's a win/win thing). My point being (Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, mental confusion) that I don't think that I'm just making this up! I really thought that maybe I was starting to go a little crazy, but then I remembered that crazy people aren't usually as bitchy as I am. Or maybe it's just karma coming back to bite me in the ass for using hormones as an excuse all those years. I don't seem to be really crazy in a BAD way. It's more of a 'Hey-lets-drop-everything-and-go-to-Vegas' thing or 'Ice-cream-is-perfectly-acceptable-for-dinner' thing. So, there is an element of fun about some of it. I'm holding on and keeping all my arms and legs safely inside the car for a ride that's sure to be fun. To add to the adventure, it looks like my daughter and I will be headed in opposite directions through the same land at the same time. Let's meet for lunch. If we could harness that power, however, I believe we could take over the world and I've started shopping for an Evil Lair. This one might work well when the hot flashes come.

6 comments:

Vee said...

Hang on for the ride, exercise, and consider Remifemin. Click on it in the chart here for the ingredients:
http://www.mednewsreports.com/ControlMenopauseSymptoms/?source=Remifemin

Remifemin has been prescribed by German doctors for half a century now. (I'm about to trust German know-how again with a tankless hot water heater, but that's another story, lol!)

Vee said...

Another short summary about the research behind this particular formulation of black cohosh:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/36992.php

Google it to read more info if you're interested.

..OMG-LMAO - my verification word to enter this comment was "cootch."

Life's a Beach! said...

All that sounds familiar. My symptoms started in my early 40's. Perimenopause. In my case followed by a hysterectomy at 45, leaving me with one lone ovary which continued to fire until at least age 55. Talk to the doc. If the bitchy, anxious, sad for no reason part gets severe, there's no reason to suffer with it. There are drugs that handle that quite nicely! : )

Catz said...

Partial HISSTO at 21 - notice the HISSing part - maybe that's why my first name became Frayed Nerves, Attitude became my middle name, Massive Bitch became my last name and I sure didn't play well with others!!
Complete HISSTO at 28 - let the fat congregate around your belly for the next twenty years! There ought to be a warning label attached to the papers we sign to take our "womanhood" away. Sign at your own risk.
Traumatic Effects of the Monthly Visits, There's An Empty Hole Where My Uterus Used To Be should be written by those of us still living the nightmare. I'm up to writing the forward and chapters 1 through 7!!

Ain't being a woman a wonderful thing - WOe to the MAN who lives with us!

Laura said...

I started all this last year, it went away for a while and then came back this spring. I can handle the crazies (those around me may not agree) :)
It's the hot flashes and yucky night sweats that are the worse part.

Nancy said...

I'm 53 and nothing has begun at all yet. 43 years is quite enough!



My Jewelry on Etsy

My Blog

Some of these entries are vintage travel reports and have been restored from a lost blog. I hope you enjoy them.