Friday, May 1, 2009

Fleetwood Mac Concert - Dallas April 2009

I really wanted to see Fleetwood Mac, but since I had just spent $$ on The Eagles, I thought I'd better not. Luckily, I won tickets on the radio by being the right caller! I was sooo excited!! I saw Fleetwood Mac in 1983 and they were awesome. The show was even better than I had expected. Lindsey Buckingham rocked out like a man half his age, running around the stage and gracing us with guitar solos that absolutely blew us away. Mick Fleetwood sat like a king on his throne surrounded by his drums, having a wonderful time and John McVie was stoic and solid. Stevie Nicks' voice was impressive and powerful. At the age of 60, she is still beautiful and clearly casts a spell on her audience with her haunting songs. Near the end of the show, she even donned her platform boots and black tophat and twirled in her signature style. My favorite song of the night was "Gold Dust Woman". The layering of the music, the back up singers and Stevie's voice rocked the American Airlines Center. "Big Love" was an acoustic powerhouse that showcased Lindsey Buckingham's musical prowess and left us amazed. They played a solid two hours and ten minutes before a three song encore. The only issues I had that night were with the elevator lady and a few of my fellow concert goers. The elevator attendant, which will now be known as "Elevator Bitch" took my wine and had someone throw it away at one of our stops because 'There is no alcohol allowed on the elevator'. Uhhh...okay....you should have told me that when I walked onto the elevator right in front of your face. You owe me $7, Bitch. (Yes, I complained to a supervisor - you already knew that would happen) No biggee...Mr. Wonderful bought me a new glass of wine when we arrived at our upper deck and we pushed the elevator call button a couple of times to call her all the way back up there. heh heh. Nothing makes one so childish as when one's wine is taken away. And now for my fellow concert goers -- I am so glad that you are having a good time, I really, truly am. However, I came to the concert to actually hear the performers. Please understand - I love music. I mean, I really love it. I have pretty much exclusively dated and married musicians and if I could have an IPOD implanted in my brain, I'd do it! Here is a list of things that I did NOT come to the concert to do: 1) Watch you dance - especially when you are the ONLY person standing in our entire section of seating. Sit down....I can't see. Fly your freak flag. Just not here. 2) Hear you sing - Okay, we all had a nice little sing along with 'Landslide', but now you are sitting behind me singing "Go Your Own Way" at the top of your lungs in my left ear. There is a reason you are in the audience and not on stage. Think about it. (Concerts are obviously not loud enough these days) 3) Listen to you talk - Yes, I realize that your date is all of perhaps 20 and has never heard of Fleetwood Mac before tonight, but must you explain everything to her and have an entire conversation? Play Svengali on your own time and shut the F up when Stevie Nicks is talking about when she met Lindsey Buckingham. I feel privileged to be in the presence of these musicians. You are rude and disrespectful. 4) Have my wine taken from me. Oh wait, we already covered that. Note to self, tho - anytime someone starts to take your wine from you, chug it like you are at a frat party. All in all, it was lots of fun and yes, I realize that I'm a cantankerous old lady who should only attend a concert if she's suspended from the ceiling of the American Airlines Center alone in one of those egg chairs from the 70s. Don't think I'm not working on making that happen. I am grateful that I got to go and I really did enjoy myself in spite of minor annoyances. You know this is all in fun. Complete Song List (in order): Monday Morning, The Chain, Dreams, I Know I'm Not Wrong, Gypsy, Go Insane, Rhiannon, Second Hand News, Tusk, Sara, Big Love, Landslide, Storms, Say You Love Me, Gold Dust Woman, Oh Well, ISA, Stand Back, Go Your Own Way, World Turning, Don't Stop, Silver Springs.

3 comments:

Ann said...

Great post, Jana! Glad you got more wine....

Life's a Beach! said...

Sounds wonderful Jana! I love the 'fly your freak flag' comment. One time we went with a group to a jazz fest at a local winery because a friend worked for the promoter. One of our group kept flying the freak flag. People around us weren't too amused. We still imitate her.

Vee said...

An excellent post! How cool that you won free tickets. I also hate it when people sing along with the band, unless the band asks them to!



My Jewelry on Etsy

My Blog

Some of these entries are vintage travel reports and have been restored from a lost blog. I hope you enjoy them.