Sunday, January 18, 2009

Sea Glass Mosaics

I love vacation because I have the time to do silly things that I would never do otherwise. Okay...I do a lot of silly things, but you know what I mean. During our September 08 trip to Isla Mujeres, I walked on the beach almost every day and collected shells and seaglass, then came back by the pool and made a mosaic out of my treasures. My favorite ones are the fish and the castle. I want to live in the castle. If you look closely you can see that it has little clam shell 'window boxes' with real flowers in them. I ended up with about 7 pounds of goods and yes, my luggage was over the accepted weight and we had to shift some to Mr. Wonderful's luggage. It's all about the sacrifice. Hurricane Ike had just passed near the island, so the beach was loaded with sea glass and shells. I could have filled a big black leaf bag! a close up of some interesting pieces

9 comments:

Vee said...

Those are very nice, Jana, and it's good to have a hobby. Seriously, have you considered mounting the mosaics somehow?

couzin frank said...

You could sell these! IMHO

jeanie said...

What a fabulous collection! WOW!!! My mind is racing with all the great things you can do with those.

Nancy said...

I've always loved your mosaics and thought they would be beautiful mounted. The suns and moons you've done have been my favorites. You're very creative!

Life's a Beach! said...

I love the moon mosaic Moonie!!! They are all wonderful!

MD in Texas said...

If you mounted those, I would be first in line to buy a couple. I think they are awesome!

Moongrl722 said...

Great idea, guys!! I will have to think about the best way to mount those. Hmmmm....The moon one is exactly like my tattoo on my ankle (and the Playa Media Luna symbol!) I guess this means more trips to Isla to collect supplies.

Sea Dream Studio said...

I am swooning! We must have a craft pow-wow (oh, can I say that?)... well, meetimg! I yhink you are on to something very lovely!
xo~d

Sue said...

You have a talent, that's for sure. I love your creations with the shells. My favorite is the little castle with the window planters - so cute!



My Jewelry on Etsy

My Blog

Some of these entries are vintage travel reports and have been restored from a lost blog. I hope you enjoy them.