Sunday, August 2, 2009

Isla Mujeres - July 2009 Part 1 'The Island'

The island of Isla Mujeres feels like my second home. When the ferry docks and I disembark, my soul sighs. The sights, the hustle and bustle of the street, the tempting smells of cooking. A taxi whisks me away to a quiet hotel on a peaceful beach and the week with my handsome husband stretches our ahead of me, like a dream come true. Isla was pretty quiet, with the drop in tourism due to the economy, the Swine Flu hype and the onset of low season. The beaches were beautiful and quiet and Playa Norte had regained a lot of ground down by Na Balam. Sr. Lima's house Hotel Playa Media Luna, our hangout for the first few days A beautiful sunset from Mark and Donna's place Day after day of bright sunshine And a little rain one morning Kindergarten Graduation Day! All of the children had on all white clothes and they had a corsage or boutineer (sp?) The abandoned condo project next door to Secreto. We call them the 'Mayan Ruins' because that's how they look at night. I want to plant ivy all around them, so it will grow up and cover them. This is what I call a 'Mexican Man-kini'. When the local gentlemen want to cool off, they pull their shirts up and cool off their bellies. Gotta love it! View from Casa Sirena rooftop, where we spent the second part of the trip. It's so beautiful there. I always like to stop at the shell stands by Hacienda Mundaca. The people are so sweet and they have gorgeous shells. Rainbow seen from Steve's rooftop! Playa Norte was quiet. We stayed down by Na Balam where it was incredibly beautiful. The beach has come back so much over here. I am standing just East of Na Balam restaurant looking back West. Look how much beach is here now! Mr. Wonderful This little building is almost finished next to Na Balam. Probably going to be a Starbuck's. I'm kidding. I hope I'm kidding. More blog entries about Food, People and more coming soon!!!

6 comments:

Vee said...

Excellent, Jana - both the writing and the photography! The beach by Na Balam does indeed look much better. Maybe one day it will be as wide as when we stayed there in 2002.

BTW, your blog looks wonderful - a work of art in itself!

Life's a Beach! said...

Jana, you made my Sunday when I saw this! I bet Scott from Secreto would like to plant ivy all over the Mayan ruins too. I wonder how long everyone will be looking at that eyesore? What a shame.

It's so great to see the beach coming back! I can't wait for October. I've never waited for an Isla trip with this kind of anticipation! : ) Looks like you and Mr. Wonderful had a fabulous time!

jeanie said...

OMG! Pix#3 you on the beach ....I am sooo gonna get that same photo. I know exactly where it is and my personal hotspot! BTW what the heck is that concrete thing at the end? A lifeguard doodah? Weird!

mkttv2 said...

Hi Jana,

I hope you and Mr W are doing well.

Love your pics and updates!
Thanks for sharing.

Blog on!!

Mark

Ann said...

Beautifully written & photographed! Nice seeing the beach coming back--I love the end of Playa Norte from Buho's to NaBalam. Thanks for posting.

Moongrl722 said...

Jeanie, That's looking South on Playa Media Luna and it's Roca Mar or La Perla in the background. Not sure which. Wayyy down the beach.

I love the sunwashed colors in that pic.

Yes, the 'Mayan Ruins' are bad for Secreto. It blocks a big part of their view!



My Jewelry on Etsy

My Blog

Some of these entries are vintage travel reports and have been restored from a lost blog. I hope you enjoy them.