Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Spring - Southern Living

I don't necessarily have the greenest of thumbs, but I like to plant a few herbs to use in the kitchen. This year I have planted mostly basil, because I love to use it to make lemon basil pasta, Caprese salads and dress up a frozen Margherita pizza. I also planted some rosemary, which is nice on new potatoes. There is one little sad pot of Mint that survived the winter (barely) indoors and I'm hoping it will come back soon to be morphed into Mint Tea or Mojitos. I have chives in my kitchen window that are very easy to grow. I feel very 'Southern Living' magazine when I use my own herbs for cooking. I love to cook when I have time and I'm inspired...which is not on weekdays after a 45 minute commute. This is my Clematis in the backyard. I planted it myself when I moved into this house about ten years ago. I have several mini roses. This pink bush is my favorite. I planted it by my front door because my Grandmother had a pink mini rose bush by her front door that I loved when I was a child.

4 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

Everything's beautiful Jana, especially the clematis. Your house looks SO Southern Living with that red brick and the pots! I've got a pot of rosemary/basil/oregano on my patio that I can use year-round down here. I roast baby reds with rosemary, lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, and cracked pepper. And throw in a couple of bay leaves.
I need to get a pot of mint!

jeanie said...

Mint is hardy enough to survive in the frozen north if it's in the ground. I used to put it in a pot just to contain it. It will take over your yard, So will chives. Your clematis is gorgeous!!! I don't have much space in the new digs but I'm going to find a spot for a clematis. At our last house it was the first thing I planted there (by myself too) and it's probably growing stong again. They bloon in June here.

Moongrl722 said...

Jeanie - don't you think "My Clematis Blooms in June" would be a great book title? Sounds a little naughty, too!

Beck - you said my house looks Southern Living. Thank you! Your recipe sounds yummy.

MD in Texas said...

Yuummmm....lemon/basil pasta....I will be right over!!!

And the clematis looks so pretty. That was one of my grandmother's favorite blooming plants!



My Jewelry on Etsy

My Blog

Some of these entries are vintage travel reports and have been restored from a lost blog. I hope you enjoy them.