Sunday, November 16, 2008

To Do List- The Eagles, Starbucks and Bad Ass Shoes

Yesterday was a busy day and I got lots of things crossed off of different 'to do' lists. First off, we had our carpets cleaned, which falls under the 'Get Ready for Thanksgiving' list, as well as 'Get My Asthma Under Control' on the "Life Enhancing List". The living room sofas were moved into the kitchen, so we lounged and drank coffee, pretending we had our very own Starbucks. I think I liked that a little too much. Next, I went to run errands and picked up the Honey Baked Turkey - spiral sliced and ready to go - in case you didn't know, you can pop those in the freezer for a couple of weeks and not stand in line the day before the holiday. (Get Ready for Thanksgiving List) I can't stomache making a real turkey. The act of sticking my hand up the elbow into a bird carcass and pulling things out that are referred to as 'giblets' would make me nauseous for days, thus defeating the purpose of Thanksgiving, which is overeating. I also picked up the makings for a Chocolate Pecan Pie at Super Suppers. Everything else will be homemade. Whilst over in the Honey Baked part of town, I dropped into Nordstrom Rack to look for black pumps. A lady with a incessantly whining toddler almost made me leave the store to go have my tubes tied yet again, just to be sure, but I persevered and found a gorgeous pair of Stuart Weitzman bad ass pumps. Originally $300, for me...$70. Score! "Find New Work Shoes" on "General To Do List"...check! "Wear Bad Ass Shoes As Much As Possible" on "Life Enhancing List" check! Two for one, altho I lose a point on the "Spend Less Money" checklist unless you look at it as a SAVINGS of $230, which luckily, I do. That night, Mr. Wonderful took me out to dinner at Fishmongers, where I dined on Shrimp Tortilla Soup, grilled Shrimp, Scallops and veggies with rice. As if that were not enough, we continued on downtown to the American Airlines Center to the Eagles Concert! We had really great seats and the show was fantastic. The guys came out onstage promptly at 8:00, dressed in black suits and ties and we didn't get out of there until 11:30 (there was one short intermission). They played lots of great songs, both old and new, including Lyin' Eyes, Peaceful Easy Feelin', How Long, Heartache Tonight, Hotel California, Life in the Fast Lane, Long Road out of Eden, One of These Nights, Witchy Woman, Busy Being Fabulous. The second set was acoustic and I have to say these guys can still sing and their harmonies were tight. They all sat in a row and sang No More Walks in the Woods, Waiting in the Weeds (my personal fave from the new CD), No More Cloudy Days, Love Will Keep Us Alive and Take it to the Limit. When this set started, I could stand it no more and had to turn around and ask the people behind me to please keep their conversation to a minimum. Thankfully, they complied. Why someone would pay this much money to go see The Eagles and then talk all throughout the concert like they were having a conversation at dinner is beyond me. There is so little respect left in the world. The crowd was generally in their 40s and up -- and well behaved. Even the security guards at the stage were sitting down and looked like someone's grandpa. The entire crowd sang along with Take it Easy, which was the first song of the encore. Joe Walsh - Guitar God who changed guitars like Cher changes clothes - clowned it up on Life's Been Good, Timothy Schmit can still hit those high notes on I Can't Tell You Why and Glenn Frey referred to the tour as the "Assisted Living Tour", making jabs at their age throughout the night (altho, of the four, he still looks the best). Henley was much more reserved than when I saw him solo at The Joint in Vegas, but when he stood alone in the spotlight for the final encore song and sang Desperado, let me tell you, it was a religious experience for me. I am a Henley Girl...he is my fave. That concert definitely falls under my 'Bucket List'. Check!

6 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

Love the Eagles! You know, I was just looking at my kitchen, and my nook area would make a perfect little Starbucks seating area! Then all I'd have to do is actually use my dining room for its original purpose! We never use the table in the nook anyway! Great thought for future decorating! :)

Ann said...

Sounds like you accomplished alot! Nice way to end a great day with a great concert...

Vee said...

Sounds like a great day. Did the Eagles do Boys of Summer? I'm astounded by ticket prices to concerts these days!

Moongrl722 said...

Yes, Vee, they did that song, too, and it was great. Ticket prices are outrageous. Including 'Platinum Parking' and Convenience Charges (which, btw are inconvenient for me) the concert cost us $400. I have ticket stubs from 1979 when tickets were $8 a pop!!!

Vee said...

Jana, for a few years after our honeymoon, every time Tim and I wanted to do something extravagant like that, we'd say, "But that's five nights at Posada," or whatever was an appropriate comparison to make us save our pennies for Isla. We don't do that so much anymore. I'm glad the band did that song. That's one sexy tune!

jeanie said...

What time is dinner? Sounds delish!



My Jewelry on Etsy

My Blog

Some of these entries are vintage travel reports and have been restored from a lost blog. I hope you enjoy them.