Monday, December 29, 2008

Retro Shopping Night

Mr. Wonderful and I went out shopping a couple of weeks ago. It was really fun and I tried clothes on for him, as he sat in a plush chair and assumed the 'Sugar Daddy' role. It was like a trip back to the 60s and reminded me of when I was a child and my Dad would take my Mom out shopping. Back then, all women's boutiques had comfy chairs where the men would relax, while the ladies paraded around for them in the latest fashions. I worked in an upscale ladies clothing store back in the 80s in Tulsa called Aberson's, and we threw a 'special party' for husbands a few days prior to Christmas each year. We served champagne and snacks and because I was 17 years old at the time, I 'got' to model a few things, especially the fur coats. It was a brilliant marketing move and I'm certain that we helped make a lot of women happy on Christmas morning! Nowadays men rarely accompany women on shopping trips. We have our own money, don't need anyone to drive us, are generally more independent than women were in the 60s. I remember my mother used to sign her name as 'Mrs. Husband's First Name and Last Name'. I have never done that! However, I love it when a man opens a door for me and our 'Sugar Daddy Shopping Trip' was loads of fun.

3 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

So true Jana! I've never signed my name that way, and it's a cold day in hell when Craig goes shopping with me. It only happens if we take a daytrip, and then he usually gets bored and wanders off down the street. Of course, he always has me go shopping with him. Ha! Mr. Wonderful's a keeper!

Vee said...

Jana, I also remember when many shops in my small hometown had plush chairs and seating areas for husbands. I also recall being able to go into stores and take things home "on approval," without paying a cent till Mom and Dad approved. Your post brings up a point that Tim and I discussed when we went to my hometown last week - the demise of men's and women's shops. Tim was wondering how the store where my dad shops has survived (I call the owner, tell him to pick out a few things for Dad, then go pick them up. It's awesome!) I explained that there once was a tradition of shopping in small, locally owned shops like that, for women, too, and there's still a clientele for such businesses in Smalltown. Both my parents mostly avoided department stores for their shopping, even though the two in our town were both locally owned. They shopped for us kids there, but not grown-ups. There was even a store called The Ladies Shop in our town. Oh my, I could go on forever about this, but I'll stop...Great photo at the beginning, btw.

Moongrl722 said...

I think it's all due to customer service, Vee. The 'old school' stores (like the one I worked at) had 'Clients'. The salespeople were more like personal shoppers and would call to let their customers know that a certain collection has just come in and 'I'll hold back the suits in your favorite colors and size'. We had three alteration ladies on staff. The salesladies were professionals and were paid on a commission basis and would put together Spring Wardrobes complete with accessories for their clients. Just trying to track down an employee in many stores is a hassle, now. The Old School salesladies knew you like your hairdresser does (hence the 'on approval' and help picking out things for your Dad that you mentioned).



My Jewelry on Etsy

My Blog

Some of these entries are vintage travel reports and have been restored from a lost blog. I hope you enjoy them.