Saturday, January 29, 2011

Slow Cookin' Sunday~ Stuffed Peppers

This is one of the easiest and least messiest recipes ever. Stuffed Peppers 6 Peppers (I think the green ones have a bitter taste in Winter, so I went with orange. It would be really attractive to do a mixture of red, orange and yellow) 1 lb LEAN ground beef. At least 80% lean. 1 Cup cooked Rice (I used White rice only because I was out of Brown and forgot to buy more) 3 Tbsp Worchestershire Sauce 2 tsp each of: Basil, Minced Garlic, Oregano 1 tsp Salt 1 tsp Pepper A dash of red Pepper Flakes (I sprinkled a little more salt and pepper on my serving at the table, but I'd rather undersalt while cooking than end up with something too salty.) 1 can Fire Roasted Tomatoes 1 can Tomato Sauce (small can) In a large bowl, mix the Ground Beef, Rice, Worchestershire Sauce and spices. Wash the Peppers, cut the tops off (do it pretty, like a pumpkin so you can put it back on later!) and clean out the seeds, ribs, etc inside. Stuff the peppers with the meat mixture. That's right, you don't have to brown the beef first! Put the tops back on like a little cap. (I like a stylish dinner) Pour the cans of Fire Roasted Tomatoes and Tomato Sauce in the bottom of your Slow Cooker. As always, don't forget the liner! Place the peppers in carefully so that they all stand up. I cooked these at high for about 4 hours and they were done perfectly. I only did four peppers and made a little meatloafy thing out of the extra meat. I am thinking that they would freeze well, though, so I'll make six next time. Peppers are kind of pricey and I wanted to make sure we liked this recipe before making so many! Mr. Wonderful gave it two thumbs up!

2 comments:

Isla Deb said...

I love stuffed peppers but haven't had them in like a million years because my kids don't like peppers. Well, they're in the 20's now, so I think I'll make some stuffed peppers for myself. The recipe looks wonderful. They don't have to come over for dinner. Haha!

Wandie said...

Thanks Jana! I love stuffed peppers. I usually make the way my Mom did with lean ground pork or if I'm ambitious, finely diced pork steak. Her secret ingredient was to puit about a tbsp of white vinegar in the bottom of each pepper and then smoosch down the rice/meat mixture. Yummo!

Love your blog!



My Jewelry on Etsy

My Blog

Some of these entries are vintage travel reports and have been restored from a lost blog. I hope you enjoy them.