Monday, March 8, 2010

Touched by a Rainbow

I was driving home from work today in typical Dallas rush hour traffic. It was a dreary, rainy Monday, I was on the third day of an annoying cold and I was in, as they say, no mood. Out of nowhere, a rainbow appeared up in front of me and to the right. It was extremely vivid and large and I could see both ends of it. The rain began to let up. The traffic on Central Expressway created a great cloud of mist right above the road and as I marveled at the unexpected beauty of the rainbow, it hit the road and refracted and came right into my car for about two seconds! It was magnificent! I had been touched by a rainbow! When I exited the highway, the rainbow was so large on the horizon that it looked like a colorful skyscraper. Violet, Green, Yellow, Orange...the distinction and brightness of the colors was utterly amazing. It was then I noticed that it that it was a double rainbow. By the time I sped home, grabbed my camera and drove across the street to the farm, all that was left was a few drops of color. I sat on the little road and took a picture as I watched the colors fade and then disappear. What an extraordinary sight. This is the shot I got: But it looked more like this:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool!
Last week there was a huge rainbow very close that I could see both ends of looking north out of my office window.

Renee said...

It is getting near St Patty's...
Maybe it's a sign!
Too bad there wasn't a pot of gold at the end.
I love it when beautiful things happen unexpectidly and it catches you off guard.
I wonder how many people during rush hour actually took the time to notice?!?!

Life's a Beach! said...

Jana, you were the pot of gold for a few minutes! Hope the cold's better!



My Jewelry on Etsy

My Blog

Some of these entries are vintage travel reports and have been restored from a lost blog. I hope you enjoy them.