Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday Slow Cooking ~ Mongolian Beef

Mongolian Beef 1 1/2 pound flank steak 2 T minced garlic bunch of green onions (save some for garnish) 3/4 c Soy Sauce 2/3 c white wine (I used flat champagne because it was just sitting there in the frig...mocking me. I think I'll go drink the rest just to show it who's boss) 1 t Olive Oil 1 t Honey 2 t Ginger 1/4 t black pepper 2 t Red Pepper Flakes 2 T Creamy Peanut Butter 3 T Brown Sugar Cornstarch for dredging meat As always, use a Slow Cooker liner. Why make it harder on the rest of the family who has to clean up? :) Slice the flank steak into thin strips against the grain and shake in a plastic bag with cornstarch. Just enough to give it a good powdering. Slice green onions. Add all liquids and spices to the slow cooker and stir. Add meat and onions remembering to reserve some for garnish (the onions, not the meat. duh). Toss lightly to stir. Cook on low for about 4 hours. Serve over rice and garnish with onion. This was really good. The meat was really tender and had a good flavor. Mr. Wonderful gave it a thumbs up. I would personally like a little more spice, but you could always add more pepper flakes as a garnish to spice it up a bit individually. I would also slice the meat a bit thicker, maybe about 1/2 inch thick slices next time and try it with brown rice. Mmmmm. This recipe made four good sized servings.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl! Show that crummy flat champagne who's boss. The dish sounds good. When I go to Isla next month I may try to pull it together for dinner when I invite a few friends over to the apartment.

Ann said...

Sounds really good! Will add to my pile of recipes to try!

Islaholic Trixie said...

I'm slow cooking a corn casserole today...to go with some crab legs and Lobster tails! :)



My Jewelry on Etsy

My Blog

Some of these entries are vintage travel reports and have been restored from a lost blog. I hope you enjoy them.