Sunday, February 14, 2010

New York (Part 2) The Plaza, The Met and a Makeover

A grey sky and the promise of coming weather. Although we had record snows all around us in Maryland and New Jersey, it somehow avoided us! Drinks at the Plaza? You bet! The Plaza is the second hotel of that name on the site and first opened to the public on October 1, 1907. At the time, it cost $12.5 million to construct. When it opened, a room at the Plaza Hotel was only $2.50 per night ($57 in today's dollars). Today, the same room costs from $695 upwards. Pish Posh. My Irish Coffee at the Oak Room was $18. It did, thankfully, provide a nice little buzz. Giant chandelier in the lobby Miss Pamela makes a call at the Plaza ("Please wire me some money to pay for this martini.") Our waiter conveniently forgot to come by and check on us for quite some time (and for the record, it was mid afternoon and there were several empty tables). Maybe he was on his break, maybe he just didn't want to come near us because the guy at the next table was complaining about his meal to the manager. (Hmmm, ate it all tho, didn't ya?) When our waiter finally came back, Belle exclaimed "Oh, where have you been? We missed you?", with impeccable Southern Belle charm. Our Ride ( I wish!) It wouldn't be a girl trip without sharing beauty tips and make up. Not to mention those legendary pillow fights. Belle performs a makeover on Pam while singing "Beauty School Dropout". The bigger the hair, the closer to God. OMG, you're blue eyes just 'POP'! I WANT CANDY!!! Dylan's Candy Bar is a two story candy store that is owned by Dylan Lauren, daughter of Ralph. 5000 kinds of candy makes 4 happy girls. This is a landing on the stairway. Candy is embedded in the stairs. Too cool. Sugar Rush!! Culture Call! We went directly from Dylan's to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, located on Central Park East. In addition to being a Sugar Fiend, I am a total Art History Geek, especially for Greek and Roman Classical Art, so I was pretty excited in a really nerdy way. It was a really cold and windy day This section of a fluted Ionic column dates back to 300 BC and is from the Temple of Artemis at Sardis. The original column stood over 58 feet tall! Detail of the side of a sarcophagus that was just exquisite! Smokin' Dog Three Muses The ubiquitous 'Pam Poses Like A Statue Pic' from Girl Trip. You saw that coming, now didn't you? I was mesmerized with the beauty of all of the statuary. I did 'not so well' in Sculpture Lab in college...but that's another (funny, embarassing) story. Another vibrant street scene. Constantine (dude from previous American Idol) coming out of the show that he's in as we happened to walk by. Pam loves him, so I snapped a pic. Stay tuned for Central Park, Chinatown, Katz's Deli and more!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great sculptures. I am surprised they allow cameras in the Met though.I am looking forward to your next installment.

Ann said...

I was going to say the same thing about cameras. I love the Plaza--never stayed there, but did drinks once. Enjoying your posts!

Moongrl722 said...

I think they allow cameras everywhere now. I always still ask before I take pics, but nobody says no anymore. I guess because everyone has cell phone cameras anyway.

Vee said...

Love that chandelier! Your friend's comment to the waiter was perfect. And speaking of photos at the Met, a friend of mine has worked as a photographer there for decades. He visits Raleigh often, and I'll ask about the photo policy next time I see him. I'm also curious, as I worked at the NC Museum of Art for several years, and no photos were allowed there - still aren't. Anyway, thanks for another trip report!



My Jewelry on Etsy

My Blog

Some of these entries are vintage travel reports and have been restored from a lost blog. I hope you enjoy them.