Wednesday, May 26, 2010

White Trash Fiesta - a recipe

When I was younger, I often used the term 'White Trash Fiesta' to disdainfully describe an event that was attended (in my opinon) by classless people. Ironically, I was in always in attendance, as well. Example: "How was your cousin's NASCAR theme wedding?" "It was a White Trash Fiesta." Having grown up (as much as one can say that I actually qualify as a grown up) in Oklahoma, this phrase got put to a lot of use. Now, don't get all 'bowed up' (love that phrase, too), you know I love my Okies! Except for the OU fans, and I do tolerate a handful of those just because they are cute and...well...easy to make fun of. :*P Which brings me to White Trash Fiesta - a recipe. I call it this because it brings to mind something that a couple of white trash girls....let's just call them Raylene and Twyla....beacuse, let's face it, that's what their names would be - and what they would whip up (in the double wide kitchen) for an exotic, international style dinner. Yep, they'd serve it up to Bubba and Earl dressed in their Daisy Dukes and listening to some Lynard Skynard. It would be a night to remember. Your guess is as good as mine why on earth the above scenario comes to mind or even amuses me, but it does. Anyway, the recipe is semi healthy, extremely easy and delicious in a very 'unsophisticated palate' kind of way. And you don't have to heat up the double wide on those hot summer nights. And that, my dear, is gittin er dun. Okie style. White Trash Fiesta Iceberg Lettuce Tomato - chopped Avocado - chopped Can of Jalapeno Ranch Style Beans - drained and rinsed Small can of kernel Corn-drained Shredded Cheese Catalina Dressing (lite version is okay) Fritos (tortilla chips can be used, too, but Fritos really make it rock) Mix it all together and serve. Freebird!!!

3 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

LMAO! We had fish tacos tonight, but I may have to try a rendition of this tomorrow night! I've got some iceberg lettuce in the fridge! And white trash fiesta will quickly be incorporated into my vocab! HA!

Ann said...

LOL! Great visuals....Funny, I had always wondered about the phrase " bow up" after hearing it in a Toby Keith song...another Oklahoman!

Vee said...

Twyla and Raylene - love it!



My Jewelry on Etsy

My Blog

Some of these entries are vintage travel reports and have been restored from a lost blog. I hope you enjoy them.