Sunday, January 10, 2010

Slow Cooker Sunday - BBQ Pulled Pork

I've been blogging a lot lately, I know. Not sure if it's because it's too cold to do anything else or that after the holiday rush I finally have time to do some things that I like. Anyway... I am desperately in love with my Slow Cooker. Especially in the winter. There is just no other way to say it other than just a full out confession, so there ya have it. I am also quite enamored of a blog called 'A Year of Slow Cooking'. Lots of good recipes and easy to follow. http://crockpot365.blogspot.com That said, let's get onto the Meal du Jour: BBQ Pulled Pork (my version but the basic one is from the Slow Cooking Blog) 4 pounds boneless pork shoulder (I bought one with a bone and it was a little over four pounds because after being a semi-vegetarian for twenty years, I am still a bit clueless at the meat counter) 1 yellow onion 24 ounce bottle of ketchup 1/2 c apple cider vinegar handful of brown sugar couple of good squeezes of Worcestershire Sauce few good dashes of hot sauce (I use Cholula because it's what I have right now) 1/4 c Bronco Bob's Raspberry Chipotle Sauce 1/2 t salt Trim the fat from the meat and place in your LARGE slow cooker. ALWAYS use slow cooker liners. If you haven't heard of these, they are the greatest invention of the last ten years - they're like the cooking bags that you put a whole chicken it and are sold in the same area at the grocery store. Add onion, sliced into rings. Squeeze in entire bottle of ketchup. Put about 1/3 c water into empty ketchup bottle and swirl around. Put that in the slow cooker, too. Add vinegar, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, chipotle sauce and salt. Cook on HIGH for 4 - 5 hours. (Be sure to turn the slow cooker ON, as it doesn't give the same desired effect if you don't. I know this from experience and the residual teasing from this much publicized blonde moment has scarred me for life) Then turn down to low and cook for another hour or until the meat just falls off the bone. If you have a bone. If not, it should be fully cooked and easily shredded with a fork. Shred it up with a couple of forks and serve on rolls as a sandwich or over rice. I served it as sandwiches with cole slaw on the side. The family LOVED it. I added a little more Cholula hot sauce to my sandwich to give it a little more heat. It was really good!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds really good Jana. We have a crock pot on Isla and are making spaghetti sauce in it tonight.

Life's a Beach! said...

Yum! I use John McCain's rib recipe from that same blog in the slow cooker. And a brisket recipe. I've got to try that pulled pork recipe. Rght now, I'm the only one here and I'm hungry. That photo of your dinner is killing me!

Ann said...

That looks great! I was actually looking at the pioneer womans pulled pork recipe yesterday, but ended up making Pasta Fagioli soup (Copy cat recipe from Olive Garden) in the crock pot instead.--Love that you're blogging frequently--and great response to the Isla FB page!

Sea Dream Studio said...

Hot damn! You learned how that cooker works! Looks delicious! I guess I missed my invite... ;)

Moongrl722 said...

Dale, I will be Slow Cookin' every Sunday for a few weeks! I'll let you know this weekend and you can come over and be our Celebrity Food Critic. :)



My Jewelry on Etsy

My Blog

Some of these entries are vintage travel reports and have been restored from a lost blog. I hope you enjoy them.