Friday, May 29, 2009

Help! My Man Picker is Broken!

Okay, MY man picker isn't broken, but my friend, Laurie introduced me to this phrase that describes a woman who constantly picks the wrong men- "Her Man Picker is 'Broken". (Incidentally, Laurie wasn't talking about herself, either. Her's is fine). I have a few friends who really do seem to have broken man pickers. I'm sure you do, too. Good women with a lot to offer who seem to really have it together...but they just choose the wrong men over and over and over. Me: 'Why are you letting someone treat you this way?' 'What on earth makes you think that this type of behavior is acceptable? 'Turn and run!!!' 'You are only hurting yourself by staying with him. He's like a knife you keep stabbing yourself with.' 'That would last about five minutes with me and he'd be out the door.' Them: 'But I looooooooove him.' (usually I reply with 'whyyyyyy?' and a round of vomiting) I guess they feel that he's the love of their life/they need to save him/any man is better than no man. I don't know!! But I can tell you that one of my friend's 'We have such a special thing together and I mean so much to him even tho he's married to someone else' guys wanted me to have a special thing with him, too. I just pretended that I didn't hear and turned and walked off. Don't get me wrong. I may be all high and mighty now, but I admit that my man picker needed some calibrating after that first husband thing. The difference? I LEARNED!!!! And to be fair, maybe I'm not so smart, it's possible that I just love myself too much and am too selfish to be with someone who doesn't treat me like the Goddess I am. So, brilliant or bitchy? The end result remains the same. I really do believe that you teach people how to treat you. If you don't like it, tell them. If they don't comply, walk away. This should be done early in a relationship (hence the need to DATE and not just shack up after the first meeting) so that you don't have that looooove thing that bogs you down like week old jello. So what is it at the core? Is it low self esteem? If so, how do you repair that in a friend? My ex brother in law was been married and divorced 6 times by his early forties. Six times!! You'd think by now, he and Liz Taylor would have tied the knot, given the odds, but alas,no. He even married one of them twice. Sigh... How do you help a friend with a broken picker?

2 comments:

Life's a Beach! said...

I've had a couple of friends whose 'man pickers' were off. LOL As I've gotten older, I extend the entire concept to female friends too. I'll give people multiple chances, but if they're rude, demanding, and not nice to be around -- well, I don't need that in my life on a constant basis. Life is way too short!

Sea Dream Studio said...

I'm not sure if it is fixable. I'd say therapy is the best hope.
And one has to accept that they are in charge of their man. They must be groomed and trained. It is a chore, but the rewards are splendid!



My Jewelry on Etsy

My Blog

Some of these entries are vintage travel reports and have been restored from a lost blog. I hope you enjoy them.